Tuesday, May 23, 2006

The Big Wedding Weekend

My (first) sister has gotten married. We knew this was coming for quite a while and I’m happy for them that the weekend was so much fun for Chris and Allie and their friends and all the family. The madness started on Thursday night with a picnic at Marina park in Kirkland. We had good food and great weather. Grandpa Bob grilled salmon, I grilled veggie kabobs and teriyaki chicken. Artie (from Orlando) won the Bocce contest and someone else won at frisbee. Kari tried real hard to get her little trick kite to catch some wind.

Afterwards, we convened at the Kirkland Pub (where Chris and Allison first met) for cold drinks and conversation. Tristyn had come down on his bike and later on, so did Chris’ other brother-in-law Paz. I was glad to get to talk with him and also with Artie. I also caught up with cousin Carey before we had to head out. We had our Xterra loaded down with rented tables and borrowed chairs.

The next morning was off to an early start to get the tables returned before meeting all the guys at the golf course. I had only gotten in about 45 minutes at the driving range the previous Monday and I was feeling pretty apprehensive about golfing with future pro Luke Bakke. At first, I felt like Artie and I were going to be ok together, but it didn’t take long for a few of Luke’s tips to accelerate his abilities. By the end of the day I lost eight balls and a fair bit of pride. I still want to golf and fish more, so I better sign up for some lessons. We hung around at Willows long enough to get a bite and a beverage. I met Gino and Matt and chatted more with Luke, Artie and Chris.

I got in a short nap after getting home. Then, I had to clean up and head to the rehearsal and First United Methodist in Seattle. Kari got me new ties and a shirt to go with my suit, so I got ready and drove downtown. Practice went pretty well and afterward we all caravanned to Salty’s on Alki. More good conversation with friends and family; the view of the city skyline across the bay featured a rainbow at one point. Chris and Allie shared kind words with their attendants; Allie was succinct with her friends, mostly from high school, and sisters; Chris was a bit more elaborate with his friends and fraternity brothers: it was ‘amazing’. That night, most of the bridesmaids stayed at Hotel Vintage Park, but I was happy that Kari wanted to stay home with me. Jenny and Marina Nelson stayed with us too.

The next morning, we picked up bagels and coffee and delivered them to the girls at the hotel. I left Kari there to get her hair done and get into her gown for the ceremony. I came home to do a little cleanup and help Jenny and Marina get ready and meet Gloria and Joan at the Bellevue Westin. Once they were off, I cleaned up, (with my new shirt and tie for my suit) and went to check in at the Westin as well. That way, our SUV would be at the hotel the next morning, after we rode the party bus from the church to the reception (at the Westin, where we all stayed). My Mom had setup a room for me and so, I dropped Kari’s and my things off and got in the car with Gloria, Joan, Jenny and Marina to head to the church; pictures began promptly at 1:30. [more to follow]