Tuesday, August 22, 2006

My new Quota

I am happy to announce that I have a new (used) motorcycle. It's been over a year since I sold my 2002 Honda VFR and I have finally found another bike that I can be excited about. It's not the fastest or the sexiest two wheeled machine on the road, but it's unique, it's comfortable, it's a V-twin, and it was a great price (especially compared to similar bikes by other makers).

Moto Guzzi V11 Quota ES

Moto Guzzi V11 Quota ES


I picked it up on Saturday as only the third owner of this bike and it has less than 13000 miles. Mine also came with MG branded Hepco-Becker hard luggage and a 'factory' windscreen, but I took the shield off because it caused me horrible wind buffetting on my helmet. I went out for my first ride without the shield last night and although I do feel more wind, it's a much more comfortable wind than with the screen. I've started doing research on parts and upgrades and I may look into a more popular replacement screen if the wind becomes a problem on long freeway rides.

I'm excited because I think this bike is well suited for a ride my dad and I have talked about since I was young. We're making plans now to ride the Pacific Coast Highway next summer. He recently upgraded to an '86 Goldwing so he's definately ready for a long haul. I'm thinking about getting a handlebar mountable GPS as well as Chatterbox type radios. But first, I need to spend some time getting to know my bike and tuning it up. I am really looking forward to that.